It’s Friday and Sunday’s Comin’!
Yesterday, Merriam-Webster’s Word of the Day was bijou. And no, that’s not the same as the dog breed, Bichon, the cute white fluffy dog.
A bijou is a small ornamental piece of delicate workmanship; something elegant or highly prized. It’s a new word to me; it’s often used in reference to highly valuable jewelry — fancy baubles one might wear on your hands, wrists or neck. (plural is bijoux or bijous)
But what if we played with the word a bit? Expanding it’s meaning to include moments that shine for us like jewels in life?
- The first glimpse of a garden in the morning sun
- A special card you received in the mail
- The delight of a child in the yarn animal knitted just for her
- An amazing cake celebrating a life.
- A snapshot of a meal with beautiful presentation.
- The right setting for a great conversation.
- The view from a vista after a long hike
- A hug at just the right time
What moments of bijou do you treasure? What gifts of grace-filled bijou have you experienced this week? How will you pause this holiday weekend to give thanks for the” bijou” which you carry with you in your heart and mind as signs of God’s great love for you?