This Sunday is Scout Sunday. Members of Troop 190, Troop 1190 and Cub Pack 190 will serve as ushers, greeters and liturgists. Come and celebrate the work of Scouting Ministries this week.
Because of some scheduling conflicts there will not be a chili lunch this year. But come and celebrate the Scouts and the good work they and their leaders are doing!
Concerning mental health:
- I was talking with a young woman with mental health issues who had recently moved to Indiana from another state. She faced a 6-month wait for an appointment with a psychiatrist.
- For someone seeking addiction recovery, wait times for treatment pose a significant barrier for the person to actually follow through on treatment and get the help they need.
- Too often the jail is the de-facto detox center and there are often few alternatives to calling the police in a moment of crisis.
Recently, Dr. Sandy Washburn spoke at our church about PACES (Positive and Adverse Childhood Experiences) and the impact that PACES have on people’s lifelong mental health. The work that she and others are doing is an important effort in helping Brown County to become a healthier community.
The Indiana legislature currently faces an important opportunity to act to make a difference in the treatment of mental health in our state. Based on the Indiana Senate Commission on Behavioral Health report published in September, it is recommended that Indiana create a multi-pronged system to provide support for those facing mental health crises.
In partnership with Faith in Indiana, Bishop Trimble has joined faith leaders from across the state to call on our elected officials to implement and fund recommendations of the Behavioral Health Commission. This plan points out that when our loved ones are in crisis, they need:
- A place to call (a mental health hotline with trained, professional staff)
- Someone to come (clinician led mobile crisis teams)
- A place to go (crisis response centers that connect our loved ones to the help they need)
Click the link below to see a short video that describes the need for such a plan.
Let us pray for the success of this effort and if you would like to urge your representatives to take action, there are 2 upcoming events:
- Rally for Care, Saturday, February 11, 1:30-3:30 p.m. at New Directions Church in Indianapolis. Register through the event tab at this link: www.acallforcare.org.
- Participate in the “Bishops and Clergy Day at the Statehouse,” March 7 from 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. (meeting with legislators and speaking to the press). Register at www.acallforcare.org.
If you would like more information, you can also sign up to receive updates here: Sign up
Grace and peace,