It’s been a special day in the church year these last few years — The Church Has Left the Building. It has meant sending out teams to care for our neighbors through projects like painting, yard work, preparing frozen meals and spending time with people we care about.
THIS YEAR YOU CAN STILL PLAN TO DO THOSE THINGS. WE HOPE YOU’LL MAKE A PLAN FOR EACH WEEK OF THE NEXT FOUR WEEKS — OR LEAST TWICE DURING THE MONTH. .
1. Each week plan a project to reach out with compassion, encouragement, service. Ideas could include:
- Clean out the gutters of someone who cannot do it themselves.
- Make a meal for someone — call first and make sure they’re comfortable receiving food.
- Make a phone call that you wouldn’t ordinarily make.
- Offer to give someone a ride to vote. (Wear mask, leave the car window open. Don’t go if you don’t feel well.)
- Write a thank you note to a healthcare worker or a first responder for the work they do.
- Call a teacher and encourage them.
These are just a few ideas — use your imagination!
THEN SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH OTHERS. HERE’S HOW:
Use the link below — click the Red Button — to go to SignUp Genius. Signup Genius is not really made for this kind of reporting but we’re going to make it work! When you click the Red Button, pick any date and click “Sign Up.” Follow the prompts to sign up and then add your report in the Comment section. Needs to be short — something like this:
Cooked meal for neighbor who is ill. Prayed with her and had a brief socially distant visit. I saw God in giving my time, praying for the person as I cooked and in her smile of relief that she didn’t have to cook.
It’s your comments that we want. The report will be sent to Pastor Mary and you’ll get a copy, too, in your email. If you have any questions about using SignUp Genius call PM at 812-988-4666. Or, if you don’t want to use SignUp Genius just call one of us — Deb at 812-720-0201 or Lu at 812-929-7734 or email us, and we’ll take your report!
Pastor Mary will share these Out-of-the-Building Actions in her weekly email — she won’t use people’s names but will just share the acts of service that are happening and the ‘glory sightings’ that come with them.
We’re excited to learn about the ways that our church is leaving the building to serve others during this season of giving thanks.
Yours in Christ,
The Church Has Left the Building Coordinators